Sam Clayton was appointed Director of the Soil Conservation Service, a small unit within the Department of Mines and Forests.
1940 – Sam Clayton obtained part of the Cowra Experiment Farm from Department of Agriculture which became the Cowra Research Station for SCS.
1944 – SCS became part of the new Department of Conservation along with the Forestry Commission, and Water Conservation & Irrigation Commission
1947 – Earthmoving plant hire service commenced.
1976 – SCS was fully recognised by the Government when the Commissioner was recognised as a Permanent Head in terms of the Public Service Act 1902.
1990 – Business Operations group formed as a commercial activity in the SCS consisting of the earthmoving plant hire service, consultancy and fleet activities.
1991 – SCS incorporated with Lands into Department of Conservation and Land Management (CaLM) under ministry of G West (National) with significant downsize (13% of staff) in combined agency. The Business Operations group continued as an outer budget sector unit in CaLM.
1993 – CaLM was internally divided into four divisions one of which was named the Soil Conservation Service under the Ministry of George Souris. Business Operations continued as a separate unit in CaLM.
1997 – Business Operations renamed Soil Services and established as one of three business units within DLWC.
2003 – January 30 Soil Services in DLWC renamed the Soil Conservation Services.
2003 – April, Soil Conservation Service incorporated into the new Department of Lands.
2009 – Department of Lands was abolished and SCS became a division within Land and Property Management Authority (LPMA).
2011 – LPMA was abolished after a government restructure under the new Liberal/National coalition and SCS became a division of Department of Primary Industries within the Department of Trade & Investment, Regional Infrastructure & Services.
Page last updated/reviewed: 04 Sep 2015